Scan multiple photos then split, crop and straighten them automatically
Download AutoSplitter now!
Change log of AutoSplitter
Date format is month/day/year
02/14/2023 version 1.14.12
- Deleting a split while editing a caption in another split will no longer discard the caption edits.
- Resizing the panels by using the slider while the popup zoom panel is open will no longer cause the popup zoom to be stuck.
01/19/2023 version 1.14.11
- You can now define the digit separator for filenames. The separator can be changed to other short characters or just empty space. (Images used to be named BASENAME_XXX, now you can replace that underscore to something else or just delete it) See base filename settings in preferences. You can now decrease the split number length to 1 digit (used to be 2 digits at least).
10/10/2022 version 1.14.10
- Delete key will no longer delete the split if you are pressing delete while editing the caption text.
- Zoom in mode will remember your zoom choice during the session.
10/05/2022 version 1.14.9
- Autodetection will recognize smaller images as well. This might be useful if you are scanning in very high DPI and you have lots of photos in the scan.
- You can now define much smaller splits manually before the "frame too small" error appears.
09/19/2022 version 1.14.8
- Added support for opening very high resolution JPEG files (above 250M pixels). File load for these files will be much slower than normal, but they will work properly now.
- New popup menu option: repeat photo detection added to 3 places. 1) popup menu under Scan button 2) popup menu under Add Split button 3) right click popup menu when clicking a split.
04/14/2022 version 1.14.7
- You can now drag and drop folders into Autosplitter to initiate a batch scan and split process.
- When browsing for folders, it's no longer possible to lose focus of the folder browser dialog.
- Captioning comboboxes under the extracted images should no longer scroll to a different caption text when you scroll the whole extracted image area with your mouse wheels.
08/23/2021 version 1.14.6
- Use filename as caption option works properly again. This version is accessible to everyone who has licensed access to v1.14.4. Upgrade protection periods have been extended automatically. Open a support ticket if yours hasn't been extended.
- Added option to automatically rename files whose filename conflicts with existing filename on the disk and/or inside the split filename editor.
07/15/2021 version 1.14.5
- Added Preview size setting to let you resize the preview images in the extracted splits panel. Default preview size is now a bit larger.
07/14/2021 version 1.14.4
- Speed up your captioning: you can now select previously entered values from a dropdown list when editing caption text.
- You can now pan (move) the selected split around using the cursor keys.
- Hover-over rotate buttons on the extracted split window will no longer sometimes stay hidden after closing the "Zoom into output image" form.
02/27/2021 version 1.14.3
- Added Filename Inheritance option to the Base Filename settings. You can now replace filenames of photos extracted from files with automatically generated sequential filenames. (same as when scanning)
- Showing proper error message when/before trying to save to a folder that is not accessible or does not exist.
- Source file directory added to batch review list.
- Output file name added to batch review list if filenames have been replaced.
- Bugfix: error when adding full page split on some systems - fixed.
07/06/2020 version 1.14.2
- Bugfix: IPTC captions once again appear even if you have secondary fileformat disabled.
05/23/2020 version 1.14.1
- Bugfixes: finishing batch review will not delete secondary fileformat output. You cannot change secondary file format during batch review anymore.
05/20/2020 version 1.14.0
- You can now save files in 2 different formats at once. Find the secondary fileformat setting under Preferences.
05/07/2020 version 1.13.6
- It is now allowed to change any setting during Batch Review, except for output filetype.
- Metadata captions will now be read from input files and will be used to populate split captions (can be disabled in Preferences/Metadata tab).
- Dates entered in format like "May 4 1950" will be interpreted better.
04/20/2020 version 1.13.5
- Added a new Metadata tab to Preferences dialog. IPTC text option moved here. Also added 2 new options to determine which EXIF date property will hold what type of date metadata.
- Added option to reuse output image filename as photo caption.
- Several small UI performance improvements in split handling (right side panel). UI should feel a bit more fluid and flicker less.
04/17/2020 version 1.13.4
- A small bugfix to make sure dates and IPTC captions are always saved to image metadata when needed.
- AutoSplitter should no longer steal focus when finishing a scan or file load.
- Added a small loading splash screen during startup.
03/25/2020 version 1.13.3
- Preview renamed to Full size. Preview now defaults to 100% view instead fit-to-window.
- Added a secondary Save all splits button right next to the Caption all/Date all buttons to the right panel. Might be quicker to use.
- Several bugfixes regarding caption and date entry.
03/24/2020 version 1.13.2
- Added date entry for photos. Dates are shown on caption and saved into image metadata. (Optional feature)
- Captioning settings included into general Preferences dialog, occupying a new tab.
- Annoyance fixed: when changing the split filenames via Rename splits button, the next mouse click is no longer lost.
- Annoyance fixed: splits were sometimes hard to select from the right side panel. No longer.
03/23/2020 version 1.13.1
- Added support for IPTC metatags - captions are now also saved in IPTC format. This is important for a few 3rd party products, for example Google Photos.
- Added option to change Split and Scan number ordering. Now you can put the split number before the scan number - see Base Filename options.
- Filename problems during batch review of multipage TIFs have been fixed.
- It is no longer possible to change non-UI settings during batch review.
02/17/2020 version 1.13.0
- Added Brightness and Contrast settings for scanning - instruct your scanner to change brightness/contrast to bring out more details of your photos.
- Autodetection speed improved for difficult cases. False positive photo detections on empty areas should be reduced now.
- Splits were sometimes not redrawn after repositioning a cropping frame. This has been fixed. Split creation speed improved a little bit.
- Added Preferences window and moved most of the configuration options into the same place for ease of use.
- User interface slightly reworked to look a bit more fresh.
- Added metadata information to fileformat change dialog. It is no longer possible so select metadata tagging for GIF files. A warning dialog will appear.
- Also added an option to NOT save DPI information and/or meta tags. Comes handy if other software have issues reading metadata.
- Added an about box. Well it's never too late after 7 years and this will definitely make you upgrade! :)
01/07/2020 version 1.12.1
- Image captions are now also saved to image metadata where supported - makes finding and categorizing your images easier. In connection to this feature we have added an annotation mode selector: you can choose to add captions, metadata or both to the output image.
- Multipage TIF support - multipage tifs will open as multiple single-image tif files and will launch batch review mode.
- TIFF extension now also recognized for individually opened TIF files. (Previously only TIF was recognized)
- Image handling library updated - image files will load much faster. Saving output images is also somewhat faster now.
- Hotkeys Ctrl+S (save all), F3 (open file) and F5 (scan) should now work while editing caption or filename of a split.
- Sample images can no longer be loaded during batch review mode.
10/21/2019 version 1.11.1
- Fixed "frame too small" error message when addig a very large split manually.
- Added "clear all splits" option to the right click popup menu.
- Added "Caption ALL photos" button to the retouch menu bar.
09/15/2019 version 1.11.0
- Autodetection algorithm improved to return better results in difficult situations.
09/08/2019 version 1.10.0
- User Interface greatly revamped. Grabbing the corners now moves corner point (and connected edges) instead of rotation.
- Shift+corner grab rotates split. Added rotate icon to top middle portion of splits to allow rotation without the use of keyboard.
- See the icon when hovering your mouse over the split. Added delete icon to the middle of splits.
- Add split button now adds a split into the middle of the page, ready to adjust.
- Add a new rotated split quicker than ever: click a corner of a photo, then click an adjacent corner of the same photo, then move the mouse to define the width/height of the new split, then finalize your new split with a click.
- Hit ESC or right mouse button to abort creation of new split.
- User interface will no longer slow down considerably when working with high amount of splits.
08/16/2019 version 1.9.7
- This version replaces and improves upon the previous 1.9.6 version.
- JPEG images of non-upright orientation will be automatically rotated back to upright position before autodetection.
- Bugfixes and performance improvements regarding opening multiple files at once.
07/25/2019 version 1.9.5
- Added some padding area around the scanned image to make it easier to adjust frames that are very close or outside the visible scanner area.
- Batch review folder name has been changed. If you have an ongoing batch review, please finish before upgrading to this version.
07/20/2019 version 1.9.3
- Some scanners in TWAIN mode scanned black and white. This should no longer happen.
06/15/2019 version 1.9.2
- Ctrl+D hotkey added for duplicate split option.
- Added visual emphasis to filename and caption editor control under splits for better user experience. Background color now darker when text input is active.
05/12/2019 version 1.9.1
- Some systems failed to save non-jpeg images since 1.8.10 - this is now fixed.
05/05/2019 version 1.9.0
- Added captioning feature. Font type, size and colors can be set for on-photo captions.
- Calibration parameters can now be accessed without first scanning/loading an image.
- Added 180 degree instant rotation button to every thumbnail.
- Added safety fallback protocol for scanner errors. WIA and TWAIN interface mode will be automatically switched in case of a scanning error (if available).
- ZoomIn feature now always resamples image and now displays a simple warning about preview image quality.
04/01/2019 version 1.8.13
- For splits that are not fine rotated at all (0.00 degrees) resampling is automatically disabled to preserve 100% of input quality. This also speeds up image processing in these cases.
03/24/2019 version 1.8.12
- More jpeg EXIF formats are now recognized.
03/18/2019 version 1.8.11
- Improved file format compatibility in some systems.
01/11/2019 version 1.8.10
- Improved autodetection speed in some circumstances.
- Popup zoom now instantly appears on mouse down - not only when mouse is moved.
- Fixed small bug with base filename editor (no longer reacts unexpectedly to numpad input).
- Files are now saved much faster.
- Fixed hanging issue when base filename "split digits" are low and lots of photos are scanned.
- Add new split now draws the rectangle as well, not just the diagonal.
- You can now drag and drop image file(s) into AutoSplitter's window to load and split the file(s).
12/12/2018 version 1.8.9
- Stability bugfix in batch review mode.
- User interface is now much more responsive when adding/resizing/rotating splits.
05/22/2018 version 1.8.8
- You can now set the digit count of the split number - default is 2 digits. This will help preserve file order on harddisk. Several file naming improvements are planned for the near future.
02/25/2018 version 1.8.7
- If autodetection is disabled, multifile processing will also skip autodetection.
- Re-enabling autodetection after it has been turned off resulted in an error, this is now fixed.
12/27/2017 version 1.8.6
- Open Folder selection dialog will no longer be sent to background by application hints.
- Popup Zoom window position was slightly wrong during batch detection review - it has been fixed now.
- Popup Zoom window position was covering the cursor when adjusting left corners of photos placed on left side of the working area. It's also been fixed now.
12/22/2017 version 1.8.5
- Added popup zoom functionality to let you finetune cropping area.
- User interface reworked a little bit to make scanner and output format selection easier.
- If autodetection is disabled, multifile processing will also skip autodetection.
- It is no longer possible to scan during review of batch detection.
11/26/2017 version 1.8.4
- AutoExpand is now a postprocessing step to avoid influencing autodetection.
- Changed some hints for clarity.
11/21/2017 version 1.8.3
- TWAIN interface is the default one again
- Auto expand parameter now ranges from -10 to 20% (up from -5 to 5%)
- You can now suppress new version warnings for 1 week
- Version warnings should not pop up constantly during batch detection of prescanned photos. Sorry about that.
10/23/2017 version 1.8.2
- WIA interface should now recognize A3 scanners and use the whole scanning area. Default scanning interface is now WIA.
- Fixed a major memory leak bug in batch processing
- Fixed some random access violations
- Added "List scanners only" option to scanner selection dialog. Some scanners are not flagged as such and may only show up when this option is unselected.
- Progress percentage is now displayed in taskbar title during mass file detection
- Save scanned source image works again properly
09/29/2017 version 1.8.0
- Added automatic retouching feature. Colors come to life once again! You can adjust contrast and saturation to improve quality of scanned images.
- Thumbnail icons are much better quality than ever before.
09/17/2017 version 1.7.11
- Small improvements on autodetection accuracy.
- Open multiple files folder is now remembered - no need to re-browse if you process several adjacent folders.
- Changed default value of autoexpand to -0.5%
08/29/2017 version 1.7.10
- Major bug fixed in folder-at-once batch detection mode. Output filenames will no longer overwrite each other if the input folder path contains a period. This also affected single file processing in some cases.
- Minor bugfixes for offline mode.
05/11/2017 version 1.7.9
- Fixed handling of top-down BMP files
- On some systems JPEG file saving raised errors, this should be fixed now.
05/02/2017 version 1.7.8
- improved speed of image detection and cropping by up to 50%
- improved speed of jpeg file reading by about 50%
- decreased amount of false positive image detections when most of the background is empty
- changed visual appearance of frame while adjusting split dimensions to allow more accurate work.
- DPI information in image files is now preserved during batch file detection.
- DPI information extracted from opened TIF and PNG files as well. Previously only JPEG dpi was preserved.
- added file counter and timer to batch detection progress dialog
- Hotkey F7 added for full page scanning
- added safemode command line parameter to skip initial version checking
02/10/2017 version 1.7.6
- Resizing of very small splits is now allowed. Also, enlarging a small split should always be possible.
- TIF and PNG output now preserves DPI information.
- Added "Choose output folder" item to the Save popup dialog.
- Added "snap to horizontal" option under expert menu. It's a quick way to set split fine rotation to 0 degree.
12/23/2016 version 1.7.5
- Fixed a bug that prevented leaving batch review mode if the software was not shut down properly during batch detection.
- File errors during batch detection will be properly displayed in the review list.
11/20/2016 version 1.7.4
- Added full page scan feature to help document scanning
- When opening a folder of scanned files, software no longer crashes when the folder contains no image files.
- Added "delete all splits in this image" option to the batch review window's popup menu
- Added confirmation settings - you can disable/enable confirmation in various places
- Mousewheel now zooms selected split.
- Ctrl + mousewheel now fine rotates selected split.
05/31/2016 version 1.7.3
- Split info dialogs showing up without content just after launch has been fixed.
- Fixed error while setting brightness (6154) parameter on some WIA scanners
- Default scanning interface is now TWAIN
- Fixed small UI issues on low resolution systems
- Changed wording of some menu items/tutorial texts
04/10/2016 version 1.7.2
- Move corner feature reintroduced. Hold SHIFT while grabbing the split corner to move corner.
- Quick help panels added to all 3 work areas to introduce controls.
- Bugfix: split numbering now works correctly when using preserved splits.
- Bugfix: preserve split hint window no longer misplaced.
02/01/2016 version 1.7.1
- Grabbing corners no longer rotates and resizes at the same time. Only rotation is performed.
- Improved selection of splits and split edges in the editor window.
- Rotation is no longer limited to 30 degress (15 degrees in finetune window). Now it's 45 degrees everywhere.
- Fixed small issue with Fine Tuning window positioning.
- Numpad + and - now expands/shrinks selected frame.
- Floating split info window now displays exact rotation amount.
- Active workspace area (batch review / input / splits) is now visually indicated.
- Focus moves back to input area after saving splits
- Starting Folder at once detection after abandoning an adjusted single detection no longer results in an error.
- Shrink, expand, flip and duplicate split functions now mark the image changed in Batch review mode.
01/16/2016 version 1.7.0
- New major feature: open multiple files (or a folder) and detect all photos in all the images. See description of feature here.
- Memory handling improved. Some configurations experienced memory related problems after a few scans, this version fixes some of these errors.
10/21/2015 version 1.6.3
- Fixed an error where mass renaming splits cleared the base name.
- Fixed an error (wrong split shown) when doubleclick zooming into splits after scrolling down in the output panel.
10/16/2015 version 1.6.2
- Recognized photos are now ordered (left to right, top to bottom).
- Turn on "show split numbers" option to see split numbering.
10/08/2015 version 1.6.1
- Extended support for TWAIN scanners.
- Full read/write support for PNG, TIF, GIF and JPG files.
- Thumbnails look much better now.
- Fixed a few small errors in the user interface.
04/17/2015 version 1.5.4
- Added F2 hotkey for adding new splits.
03/24/2015 version 1.5.3
- Fixed a problem that caused image corruption and errors during save when working with huge files or high DPI.
01/13/2015 version 1.5.2
- Preserve splits now remembers split positions after a restart.
- Added settings to change how base filenames are generated for scanned splits.
- Added setting to ignore edge of scans - this will improve detection for scanners which produce a thin black or noisy border around the scanned area. This is disabled by default.
11/01/2014 version 1.5.0
- Added preserve splits option. Use this option to repeatedly scan the same areas - ideal for scanning many same sized photos pushed into the corners of the scanner. Detect once, then reuse split information many times.
10/03/2014 version 1.4.44
- No longer has problems remembering 1200 DPI setting.
- Custom DPI settings are displayed correctly when reopening the scanner selection dialog.
- JPG files now store the scanning DPI.
- Opening JPG files now read and retain the scanning DPI of the file.
- Fixed a small user interface error.
09/17/2014 version 1.4.39
- A quick bugfix with choosing the target folder.
- Performance of handling large photos improved again, up to 20x faster. Also takes much less memory.
- Antialiasing performance improved by about 40%, this will make the image saving process 20-30% faster.
- Splits copied with "duplicate split" option will now have a distinct filename by default.
- Output images can now be scrolled with the mouse wheel.
- Changing a split will commit any pending filename edits and re-check the filename availability.
- Hitting Enter in the split name editor will commit and check the filename.
- Filename info text below the filename edit will be updated when changing the filename.
09/01/2014 version 1.4.37
- Allows splits to be rotated to higher angles.
07/07/2014 version 1.4.36
- Small user interface fix: message dialogs will no longer hide the calibration dialog.
07/02/2014 version 1.4.35
- The following operations will no longer repeatedly crop all other splits: add split, delete split, shrink, expand, duplicate. This will greatly speed up working with high DPI scans.
- The following operations will show a splash screen: add split, duplicate split, rotate, flip, pan, resize split.
- Shrink/Expand/Duplicate operation will no longer crop the selected split twice, resulting in a speed increase.
- High DPI default setting is now 900 DPI.
- To reduce false positive detections, photos smaller than 3% of the total scan area are no longer detected.
- Disabled image preview in the File Open dialog to speed up processing of large files.
- Fixed a rare error during photo detection.
06/12/2014 version 1.4.34
- Clarified a few things in the build in advisor.
- Added a quick online instructional video on adjusting splits. You can launch it under the Tutorials menu.
05/31/2014 version 1.4.33
- Tiny cosmetical fix of tutorial text alignment when resizing panels with the splitter.
- Registered installer name has been changed to make it more distinct from the demo version.
04/06/2014 version 1.4.32
- Scanner choice will default to WIA interface. This may fix scanner issues for some trial users.
03/25/2014 version 1.4.31
- Split info popup window can now be disabled under the Options menu.
- Added filename info under all splits (filename available / filename taken / image saved).
02/23/2014 version 1.4.29
- Removed "save single photo" option from popup menu. Start program with saveas command line parameter to make it visible again.
- Added Save ALL photos option to popup menu.
02/16/2014 version 1.4.28
- Added explanation of calibration parameters to tutorial menu and finetune detection parameters dialog.
- You can now save splits separately from the right click popup menu. Only available in expert menu mode. Splits saved separately WILL NOT be saved by SAVE ALL. Unless you modify the split and save again, that is.
- Filenames are automatically augmented with the appropriate jpg/tif extension upon leaving the filename editor.
01/05/2014 version 1.4.26
- Fixed an error with split naming.
- Added a confirmation dialog if there are multiple identical filenames in the output panel to avoid data loss.
01/05/2014 version 1.4.25
- AutoSplitter can now open BMP files. TIFF load support is on the todo list.
01/01/2014 version 1.4.24
- New year, new release!
- Added option to SAVE splits in TIFF format. Find the format selection dialog under the options menu and the black triangle under SAVE ALL.
- Finally fixed a small glitch with progress bar. It was stuck at 100% after the first save.
12/29/2013 version 1.4.23
- Fixed a WIA interface issue with "parameter 3097" on some scanners.
12/26/2013 version 1.4.22
- Added show/stop expert menu to make the popup menu easier to understand.
- Added some explanation text to the starting screen to help new users find out how to proceed.
12/24/2013 version 1.4.21
- Christmas release!
- Photo detection has been sped up by 20-50%!
11/30/2013 version 1.4.20
- Changed the scanned file naming method to produce an incremental number.
- Added social network sharing buttons. Tell your friends how to scan photos!
10/21/2013 version 1.4.19
- Now it should work with Win8.1!
- Detection is now more forgiving to irregular shapes.
- When no photos are detected, a helpful explanation appears in the Splits panel.
08/30/2013 version 1.4.18
- Added JPG quality setting option to calibration parameters.
- Fixed an error with the pictures saved by some trial versions.
08/22/2013 version 1.4.17
- Added duplicate split option to right click popup menu.
08/06/2013 version 1.4.16
- Adjusted default splitting parameters slightly.
- Added automatic expand/shrink to calibration parameters.
07/30/2013 version 1.4.15
- Scanner selection dialog is now a bit easier to use.
- Welcome page after installation.
07/29/2013 version 1.4.14
- Background detection is now always automatic on scan and load. AutoCalibrate button removed.
- Fixed a resource leak when opening images from the disk.
07/23/2013 version 1.4.13
- First steps towards internationalization (if there is such a word, that is). AutoSplitter should now be able to handle filenames in any character set, like chinese, japanese, korean, etc
- Scanning dialog will no longer get lost after interrupting scanning
07/20/2013 version 1.4.12
- Calibrate button is now AutoCalibrate and performs the good old "detect background color automatically" trick. It will also no longer ask for confirmation when the splits have not been changed yet.
- Installer no longer requires admin privileges. I strongly recommend installing with admin on WinXP, though. (Reason: WIA interface installation can be necessary for your system)
07/14/2013 version 1.4.11
- Automatic cropping heuristic improved a little bit.
- WIA scanning is only available in some DPI resolutions. Added a message to clarify it.
07/11/2013 version 1.4.9
- Automatic cropping heuristic improved once again.
- Tutorial / Load sample image 1/2 opens one of the sample images to showcase the software's capabilities.
06/29/2013 version 1.4.7
- Added hotkey to select output folder (F4).
- Several user interface errors related to output splits have been fixed.
- Selecting a split in the left panel will now scroll to the split in the output panel.
06/20/2013 version 1.4.6
- Added shrink/expand options to the split local popup menu.
06/19/2013 version 1.4.5
- Quick troubleshooting option added. Access it under the Tutorials menu.
- You can now adjust the background separation threshold in the calibration menu.
- Default calibration parameters have been changed a little bit.
- Splits above the ratio 1:4 or 4:1 will be discarded during autodetection.
- Splits above the angle threshold will be discarded during autodetection.
- You can now disable automatic split detection.
- You can now delete the last split as well.
- Add Split button turns red while adding split. Clicking it again will abort the split creation process.
- Hotkeys added for Scanning (F5), Open file (F3), Tutorials (F1), Save all (Ctrl+S), Add Split (INS), Delete Split (DEL).
- More hints added.
06/13/2013 version 1.4.1
- WIA compatible scanning implemented!
- Hints added to help first time users.
06/01/2013 version 1.3.1
- Further small fixes on the user interface.
05/27/2013 version 1.3.0
- Brand new user interface. Probably easier to use now.
- Output image names no longer disappear after calibration.
05/21/2013 version 1.2.5
- Manual adjustment controls overhauled. Now you can grab the edges and size the cropping area. Rotate/resize is no longer done by grabbing edges. Rotate grab point is near the corners (both inside and outside).
- Easier selection of the output folder.
- Doubleclick output images to zoom into them.
04/28/2013 version 1.2.1
- Refined calibration parameters once again. You can now turn on/off entropy mapping detection method. Background detection threshold can now be adjusted.
- I offer 100% money back guarantee from now on. Buy now!
- You can now finetune calibration options. Adjusting thresholds can help detect photographs more accurately.
04/15/2013 version 1.1.0
- Image detection has been greatly improved.
- Several runtime errors corrected.
- You can now save the scanned image as well.
- Explorer context menu integration removed. Hopefully I'll be able to reintroduce this feature soon.
- Small cosmetic fix on output rotation buttons.
- Scanning tips have been added to the scanner setup dialog.
- Decreased sensitivity for background noise.
04/09/2013 version 1.0.0
- The first version of AutoSplitter has been released!
Download AutoSplitter now!